Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A long project....

I was asked to make a display for Chabad's Jewish Student Center to highlight their Chai Club (which is explained below on the painting's sign). It was, first, to be a bulletin board, but the idea kept developing, through meeting of the minds with Sarah Rivkin, Director with her husband, Rabbi Yochanon Rivkin. So here we are in front of the Student Center on Tulane University's campus.
The beginnings.... Sarah wanted some place to also display alumni donor photos....
I cut out a couple of layers of foam core with an exacto knife (loads of fun. not.) I gessoed it and loved the way it looked all white in minimal, simple shapes. I asked Sarah if she would like this made out of wood by a carpenter. She thought about it a while, but decided she wanted a painting.
She wanted pictures of Alumni who have given to the Student Center in the past. Sarah wanted to get the point across to the students that they have a hand in creating the Center- in making it a home- so I thought rows of paint brushes could be used to attach the photos. We thought we liked the idea of leaving it unfinished looking, as if the future donors would help to continue its completion and creation. I finished the brushes, and the sides of the house. Thinking it was finished, I brought it back to the directors, but I think after looking at it for awhile they decided they needed the painting to look more completed.
So proud of my teeny, tiny reproduction of the sign...(-:
All the trees were cut separately to make them more dimensional.
So, I brought it back home and filled in the middle. Sarah suggested I leave it a bit less finished looking around the Chai Club sign. This is hand lettered to give it a more painterly look.

No comments:

Post a Comment